Skip to main content

Nintendo at Hyper Japan London 2014

Today I had the chance to embrace Hyper Japan. The main reason I wanted to go to Hyper Japan was quite simply Smash Bros. Nintendo where attending and for that reason I really wanted to go to test out some of these games from E3 I was so pumped about, and the best bit is they did not disappoint.

I had the chance to play Hyrule Warriors, and as that one is coming out first I will talk about it first. I played the demo as Zelda and it play exactly like you would want it to. Hyrule Warriors provides fast paced action. There is loads of nice animations and good attention to detail everywhere. Special attacks which do lots of damage charge up quickly so will be unleashed many times. All though that could cause a problem with repetition they looked absolutely awesome and I am sure it won't bother me on release. The B button is used to do a short teleport to counter enemies. Its fits this game well, it works just like the Star Wars the Force Unleashed when the apprentice uses a short counter. Walking in any direction long enough causes your character to burst into a run which is useful when navigating massive open areas of space.  And when Zelda took down King Dodongo it was one of the most awesome things I had seen all days. The only problem I had with it was it took me a couple of minutes to adjust to the controls (which is understandable) and when I attempted to open a chest I accidentally fired my light arrow special attack (which the person at the device said happened quite a lot). These are only minor niggles and they were more my fault than the games. All in all Hyrule Warriors is looking like a must own game when in Launches in September.

Next is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call. I do not have much to say about this because it is exactly what it is. If you played the last one you know what to expect. If you watched the E3 trailer you know what to expect. And if you did not here it is. I played through the Lightning Returns intro with the main theme from that game playing. Its one of those game that will work best at home rather then strapped to a machine and away from a noisy convention center.

Now on to Super Smash Bros. 3DS. The first thing I want to say is the Wii Fit Trainer is not as easy as she looks. I was expecting her to be a fast newcomer with lots of strong yoga based moves. First of all she is not that fast, and second of all her moves are confusing. Her side smash is a knee move where she need to bring her knee back so it is almost as if she is attacking the other side. She is still my most anticipated newcomer however she is not as accessible to use. You are going to need to master her move set before you will be able to use her properly. The second newcomer I tried was Greninja. Greninja is a fast pokemon and has lots of strong moves which is a good reflection of his appearance in pokemon. There is nothing I fell I need to mention about Greninja. I feel his trailer showed off his moveset well and shows exactly what to expect. A character which I did not know what to expect from was the Villager. The Villager is definitely a unique fighter and the same as the Wii Fit Trainer, I feel I need to master the moveset. His balloon fight recovery move is very useful however his down special he where he plants a seed, waters a tree, then cuts it down does not work like I expected it to. It need to be used all at once or else the tree will disappear. You can't just grow a tree at an edge and expect to come back to it. I also had a go at Samus, and she is as powerful as ever. In terms of stages, I battled on the reset bomb factory, gerudo valley and battlefield twice. The rest bomb factory was by far my favorite. Viridi attacks the stage and causes it to change which is awesome during battle. Gerudo Valley is also very cool and there's lots of platforms to fight from. There was a way to make the bridge disappear and I feel there's so much about it I need to go back to discover. Its an iconic backdrop to say the least. People where saying that the 3DS was hard to control at first but I did not have this problem at all. The only change is that L is now grab and R is switch as there is no Z button. If I am honest I was not sold on the 3DS version before this event. It looked like it was lowering the quality of the Wii U title as the characters need to work on both formats. After the event I have realized the 3DS version is in its own right an amazing Smash Bros game on a portable platform. It has all the accessibility which handheld games like Mario Kart 7 have (So its perfect for Streetpass meets). From the get go there is 20 stages of which 16 are unique to this version. If you go of Call Of Duty Map Pack logic that is £40 worth of content before you even think about the other differences and the fact its an entirely separate thing all together. And I am not attacking call of duty by any means but I personally would spend more time on a new smash bros game than call of duty multiplayer maps. I need both versions now, it would seem silly not to.

I also managed to fight in Super Smash Bros. Wii U, which was only for people who won there fight on the right 3DS Demo unit which I did as Samus. The event was planned so the Wii U one felt grander. It didn't play that much differently from what I could tell. In terms of stage pilotwings was confusing due to not knowing which plane I was jumping too but I am glad that's the most interactive stages are getting at this point. A couple of fights on it at my house and it will be obvious. The same goes for the Animal Crossing town. Platforms appear and move but its not obvious where they are going and it did cause a lazy KO for me. Its minor niggles and it doesn't effect how pumped I am for these games. There are also new items, but there was so many I could not list them all. So heres some notible mentions. Bullet Bill works like it does in Mario Kart (Not NSMB) firing your fighter across the screen and causing an explosion. Cuccos are also an item which causes a Cucco storm which is a little bit mental like the Cucco's. They are not completely deadly but will rack up a bit of damage to all fighter effected. There are also a lot of new melee weapons like the fire rod and the ore club, which is good because they work. I noticed two major differences between older smash bros and the new ones. The first of which is that assist trophy can take damage. They are no longer the unstoppable killing machines they one where. If you attack one it will stop attacking you. If you can KO them I still do not know. The other was the smash ball seems a lot harder to break. All the final smashes seem more balanced as well. There are ways to avoid all of them. Playing both these games in multiplayer was so exciting and thrilling. The community is so tight and it was a pleasure to play. Super Smash Bro. 3DS and Wii U are my most anticipated games of this year.

The only aspect of Hyper Japan that is annoying me is that all these games are not out yet. I am just looking at the old smash bros games and I cant bare to look at them because they are not the same. The one I want to play it the new ones and both are not out yet. I am so excited for all these games launches and no matter what we are in for one of the greatest Nintendo holiday season in years. We haven't even mentioned Pokemon and Bayonetta 2.

Disclaimer- Especially with the Smash Bros. stuff bare in mind I have literally only played with these characters and stages for 2 minutes each. My sentences are based of 2 minutes experience. When I get the game in my hands I can spend more time to explore the games at my own pace, but for now all I can give you is my 2 minutes experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode INTERmission

 The Feisty Ninja receives in this new PS5 expansion! Episode INTERgrade which is included in the PS5 version of Final Fantasy VII Remake, features Yuffie, the loveable ninja from Wutai. It is included as a download code for copies of the PS5 version, but people who bought the game on PS4 can pay £15.99 to access this new content. It includes two new side chapters which provide an alternative perspective of the events of the main game. Yuffie was an optional character in the original Final Fantasy VII and her original presentation was hit and miss. Some fans love her, but her obsession for materia and an irritating side mission late in that game caused her to be a marmite character. Thankfully, like every other main character in Final Fantasy VII Remake, a great deal of time and effort has gone into bringing the chunky PS1 character to life on PS5. Her voice acting is superb, her writing is witty and charming, and she is more fleshed out than it ever was on the original PlayStati

The Week in Gaming for The 1st October 2021

  64BitWorld’s The Week in Gaming for 25 th September- 1 st October 2021 Howdy folks, today is Friday so starting from today I will start a new weekly article series discussing all the latest and greatest gaming news from the past week. Nintendo UK invites press to play Metroid Dread on a Switch OLED Metroid Dread Many outlets have been able to record previews and reactions to both Metroid Dread and the new Switch OLED Model, both launching on Friday 8 th October 2021. 2D Metroid has always been a very core Nintendo series. It never sold as well as Nintendo’s other franchises, but its fanbase is extremely passionate. By launching it on the same day as the Switch OLED, it seems that Nintendo is trying to entice this core audience into picking up the new console as well as a long-anticipated sequel. Reactions have been great with Nintendo Life’s Alex Olney described the movement in Metroid as having “fluidity and grace that we’ve never seen before”. AndyRobinson from VGC

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition Review

Horizon Zero Dawn feels like it was conceptualised by a group of kindergarten children during playtime. ‘ROAR’ shouted Lambert standing on the table, “I am a giant robot T-Rex and I am going to fire my laser cannons at you!” Horizon Zero Dawn is set in a post-apocalyptic world hunting robotic dinosaurs. It’s stupid but that is what makes it superb. I have never played anything like it, but I wish it embraced its outlandish concept and had a less serious tone.  Guerrilla Games most recent PlayStation exclusive features protagonist Aloy- a social outcast in a native American/Celtic inspired world. There is an alluring mystery on how these robot dinosaurs came to be and how they have conquered their environment. It plays like typical open world game with an emphasis on defeating these magnificent beasts.   After a few hours, the world map becomes full with an onslaught of objectives to complete. You have the typical bandit camps, where you can defeat human enemies through stealth or